Internet Jihadist Makes Violent Threats Against David Letterman

Diposkan oleh Breaking News on Thursday, August 18, 2011

Recent calls from a jihadist to cut the tongue off of David Letterman over a joke he made on his CBS show have put the spotlight back on Hollywood's reactions to such threats.

On Wednesday, The Site Monitoring Service, a private intelligence organization that watches online activity, said that the threat against Letterman had been posted a day earlier on the Shumuka al-Islam forum, a popular Internet destination for radical Muslims.

The contributor, who identified himself as Umar al-Basrawi, was reacting to what he said Letterman did after the U.S. military announced on June 5 that a drone strike in Pakistan had killed Al Qaeda leader Ilyas Kashmiri.

Al-Basrawi wrote that Letterman had made reference to both Usama bin Laden and Kashmiri and said that Letterman had "put his hand on his neck and demonstrated the way of slaughter."

"Is there not among you a Sayyid Nosair al-Mairi ... to cut the tongue of this lowly Jew and shut it forever?" Al-Basrawi wrote, referring to El Sayyid Nosair, who was convicted of the 1990 killing of Jewish Defense League founder Meir Kahane. Letterman is not Jewish.

A rep for Letterman did not respond to request for comment from FOX411 Thursday. Letterman is filming live episodes this week, so it remains to be seen how or if he will respond on air to this latest threat. Thursday's show will be the first since the threats were made public.

Al-Basrawi, which is likely to be an alias, has made some 1,200 postings to the Muslim website, said Adam Raisman, an analyst for the Site Monitoring Service. The private firm, part of the Site Intelligence Group, provides information to government and commercial clients on what jihadists are saying on the Internet and traditional media. Raisman said the online forum is often used by Al Qaeda.
Muslim extremist groups in the past few months have increased calls for people to take violent action against certain targets in the West, he said.

"The concern is that there is someone who will read it, agree with it and say, 'I want to be the Sayyid Nosair of 2011 and kill David Letterman,"' Raisman said.
The FBI is also looking into the threat, said Jim Margolin, spokesman for the bureau's New York office. "We take every potential threat seriously," he said.
But Letterman was not the first entertainer to have death threats made against him for making jokes related to Islam.

Last week, fans of “South Park” looking to purchase the “complete 14th season” of the show on DVD were shocked to learn that an episode for which creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker received death threats had been eliminated from the disc set internationally.

Last year, Comedy Central, the network that airs “South Park” decided to censor the second of a two-part episode after a New York-based radical group Revolution Muslim called on its followers to retaliate against Parker and Stone. The group even released addresses of Comedy Central’s New York office and the team’s Los Angeles production offices.

"When unique and deeply insightful creative talents like those behind 'South Park' are able to express themselves freely, we all benefit," Viacom said at the time. "However, the safety of our employees is our unquestioned number one priority, and therefore we have decided to take these precautionary measures."

Author Salman Rushdie spent years in hiding after Iranian leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini urged he be killed for blasphemy after writing the book "The Satanic Verses."

Filmmaker Theo van Gogh was killed on an Amsterdam street in 2004 by a Dutch Muslim angered by his film "Submission," a fictional study of abused Muslim women.
More aboutInternet Jihadist Makes Violent Threats Against David Letterman

AT&T planning shake-up of SMS plans next week

Diposkan oleh Breaking News

The carrier confirmed to CNET this morning that, for new customers, it will ditch its 1,000-message plan, which went for $10 per month, in favor of unlimited-only options. Unlimited messaging for individuals will be available for $20 per month starting on August 21, while a family messaging plan for $30-per-month will also be offered.

"The vast majority of our customers prefer unlimited plans," an AT&T spokesman told CNET in a phone conversation today. "And with text messaging growing, the number of people interested in these plans will keep growing."
Users who don't want to get into a plan can opt to pay 20 cents per SMS, or 30 cents per message when sending pictures or video.

Current customers who subscribe to AT&T's 1,000-message plan will continue to pay $10 per month for the option. AT&T's spokesman confirmed that current customers with the 1,000-messages plan can keep it, even if they enter into a new two-year agreement and buy a new handset.

Engadget was first to report the news.

AT&T's new messaging plans come even as customers' reliance upon SMS might soon wane. At its Worldwide Developers Conference in June, Apple announced that iOS 5 will come with a new messaging platform, called iMessage. With that, users of iOS-based devices will be able to send free text messages to each other over both Wi-Fi and 3G. The service also supports photos, videos, locations, and contacts.

That could be troublesome for AT&T, since the company activates millions of iPhones every quarter. Although text messages to non iOS-based devices will still be charged, if customers start to opt for iMessage over traditional text messaging, the carrier might see SMS usage decline.

Earlier this year, analysts at UBS estimated that text messaging volume growth was down to 21 percent in the first quarter for AT&T. UBS said that the company's growth in the prior year was 41 percent.

However, in a note to CNET today, AT&T offered up exact figures on its text-messaging growth. A company spokesman said that messaging volume increased by 25.6 percent in the first quarter. Second-quarter growth hit 24 percent, the company said.

Declines in text-messaging can be a drag on a carrier's business, UBS said earlier this year. The analyst reported that the average carrier makes an 80-cent profit on every dollar it generates in text-messaging revenue.
More aboutAT&T planning shake-up of SMS plans next week

Jaguar C-X16 Concept

Diposkan oleh Breaking News

Earlier this month, we reported on a tidbit that Jaguar was going to the Frankfurt Motor Show with a new sports car concept in tow. Thanks to this sketch released by the company, we now have a pretty good idea on what the British automaker is bringing to the biggest auto show in the calendar.

The concept is called the ’C-X16’ and has been described as a production concept that will serve as the prototype for future Jaguar sports cars. This car "aims to set new class benchmarks in design, vehicle dynamics and technology".

Details behind the C-X16 will all be revealed in Frankfurt, although the car does point to a few intriguing questions as to what the Big Cat has in store for its next generation of sports cars. Some have speculated that this model will serve as the successor to the XK while others have reported that it’s a completely new model that has the Porsche Cayman in its sights.

One thing we do know, or rather, what we’ve been told is that the design of the C-X16 was born out of the same creative think heads that penned the current XJ, XF, and XK.

"Great Jaguars have always been beautiful, innovative and have looked firmly to the future," said Ian Callum, Jaguar’s Director of Design.

"The finished C-X16 concept has the potential to do these things while retaining the ability to surprise, to excite and invigorate."

That’s as much information as we have now, but rest assured, we’ll have all the updates ready when the car is officially unveiled at Frankfurt in a month’s time.
More aboutJaguar C-X16 Concept

Highlights All Goal and Match Result Spanish Supercopa

Diposkan oleh Breaking News

Barcelona The Winner Spanish Supercopa, Barcelona 3-2 Real Madrid (Agg. 5-4): Lionel Messi brace settles bad-tempered Supercopa clash.

The Argentine popped up in the closing stages to settle what was an enthralling encounter, but things turned nasty in the final moments of an absorbing evening.

Barcelona have triumphed over Real Madrid in the Spanish Supercopa courtesy of a thrilling 3-2 win at Camp Nou this evening, to secure a 5-4 aggregate victory over their bitter rivals.

In a match that mirrored Sunday's first-leg in terms of drama and goalmouth incident, Andres Iniesta and Lionel Messi had overcome Cristiano Ronaldo's goal to have the Catalans leading at the interval. Karim Benzema equalised in the closing stages, but Messi added a second, his side's third, to secure yet another trophy for the Pep Guardiola era. Marcelo's late red left a bitter taste in the mouth, however, as players clashed in the dying moments.

Guardiola opted for the same starting line-up that defeated Manchester United in the Champions League final in May, with new signings Alexis Sanchez, and most notably Cesc Fabregas, on the bench. For Madrid, their one change from Sunday evening was Fabio Coentrao's inclusion at left-back, with Marcelo omitted.

The match at the Santiago Bernabeu, which finished 2-2, had been a thrilling affair, and this encounter commenced in a similar vein, with Ronaldo warming the gloves of Victor Valdes in the opening seconds.

However, it was Barcelona who found the advantage on 14 minutes, courtesy of a sumptuous goal from Andres Iniesta. Messi delayed his through pass perfectly, and Iniesta timed his run, before noncholantly scooping the ball over Iker Casillas and into the net.

But their lead was short-lived, as Madrid equalised just six minutes later. From a deep corner, Karim Benzema's bouncing volley was deflected into the net from close range by Cristiano Ronaldo, who sent a hopeful glance in the direction of the assistant referee before celebrating.

Both sides then exchanged chances, as midnight approached in the Catalan city. Pedro produced a superb curling short that Casillas did wonderfully well to palm to safety, then Ronaldo's piledriver was pushed onto the crossbar from Valdes, the effort proving too hot for the shot-stopper to handle.

But Messi, just as he had did on Sunday, struck on the stroke of half-time to send his side in 2-1 up. Latching onto a backheel from Gerard Pique, he held off Ronaldo and flicked his shot into Casillas' far corner.

After the break, the match lost some of its intensity, and the aggression was ramped up, particularly as the visitors attempted to fight back into the contest. Messi and Busquets both came close for the home side, but as they looked close to seeing out the match, they were able to draw the match, and indeed the tie, level.

On 80 minutes, a corner from the left prompted a scramble inside the six-yard box; Pepe rose highest, powered a ball across the six yard area, and Benzema controlled, swivelled, and slotted the ball out of the reach of Valdes.

Extra-time beckoned. In a bizarre moment, Madrid celebrated the equaliser, but Barca fans embraced the first appearance of Fabregas, who was introduced into the fray.

But Barcelona were not to be denied. With just three minutes remaining, and both sides fighting for a winning goal, the indefatigable Messi collected the ball, played out wide and continued his run to meet Adriano's cross with a sublime volley into the corner to spark rapturous scenes in the stadium.

After such an exciting tie, however, the fixture exploded in injury time. Marcelo wrapped his legs around Fabregas in a wild lunge, to be granted a straight red from the referee. All 22 players descended on the incident, and the officials fought to regain control amidst a flurry of confusion.

Once the dust settled, Barcelona could finally collect their title deep into the night, to conclude what was a quite astonishing Clasico encounter.

source(Goal and theinfow)
More aboutHighlights All Goal and Match Result Spanish Supercopa

iPhone 5 now rumored to launch October 7

Diposkan oleh Breaking News on Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The iPhone 5 could go on sale on Friday, October 7, with preorders to start on September 30, according to the latest rumors in the ongoing saga of the hotly anticipated next edition of Apple's smartphone.

Citing intel from its own sources, 9To5Mac said yesterday that Apple had been eyeing either October 7 or October 14 as potential iPhone 5 launch dates. But with preproduction apparently running smoothly, the site says, Apple has opted for the earlier date.

Apple will reportedly offer the phone for preorder a week before it hits store shelves, looking at either September 29 or 30, though 9To5Mac's sources pin the 30th as the most likely date. Assuming the preorder date is accurate, at least for now, that also means Apple would have to hold its iPhone 5 unveiling sometime in September. Apple typically shows off new iPhones and iPads at high-visibility media gatherings some days or weeks ahead of the devices going on sale.

The October 7 date has also been floated by TiPb. However, the tech news site suggests taking the reports with a grain of salt since even if the date is on the money at this point, Apple's plans are fluid. Even 9To5Mac admits that "the date could and likely will change again."

But October itself has been strongly suggested as the launch month for the iPhone 5 by All Things D's Kara Swisher, pointing to information from her own sources.

TiPb isn't quite sure the new phone will be an iPhone 5. The site said it keeps hearing that the device will be an iPhone 4S with some improvements but the same design as the existing phone, a rumor that's been around for awhile.

Other reports say that Apple will launch two phones--the new and improved iPhone 5 and a more budget-friendly iPhone 4S, one that may even tap into the company's iCloud service to provide cloud-based storage. TiPb says that the debut of two new phones from Apple could explain the conflicting rumors that it's heard.

And yet other reports have put a potential iPhone launch date as early as September 7.

Adding further tidbits to the iPhone 5 saga, Macpost has published images purporting to be of replacement parts for the new phone. Replacement parts such as a camera lens and an audio jack have recently popped up online among different Chinese resellers, according to the site, and show some subtle differences from parts for the iPhone 4.

Finally, global carrier Telefonica will reportedly start cutting back on its stock of the iPhone 4 through September 12. Revealing the news, Engadget cited a source who said that such a move "will of course prepare us for the launch of a new smartphone." The source didn't offer up a specific date when the new phone will debut, though Engadget said it's heard that the launch will occur in October.
More aboutiPhone 5 now rumored to launch October 7