David de Gea proud to be replacing Edwin van der Sar

Diposkan oleh Agus Ariefandy Syuhada on Wednesday, June 15, 2011



Manchester United-bound David de Gea proud to be replacing Edwin van der Sar but reveals he supported Barcelona in Champions League final.

Atletico Madrid goalkeeper hopes to emulate the Dutchman, who recently bowed out of the game, but admits he wanted Spanish side to beat the club he is set to join.

Manchester United target David de Gea has spoken of his admiration for Edwin van der Sar, but admitted he wanted Barcelona to win the Champions League final.

De Gea is reportedly being lined up to replace the Dutch keeper, who retired at the end of last season.

The Spanish keeper told Gazzetta dello Sport: "The fact they are thinking of me as a replacement for such a great goalkeeper is something I like. But it’s necessary to keep fighting and working hard because we are only at the beginning and to reach that level there is a lot more to be done."

He added: "Let’s hope [I can play like Van der Sar at his age]. At the moment it’s difficult to look so far ahead, but I would like to [be able to]. I need strength, luck and to take good care of my body because football consumes you. But let’s hope so."

United will have to wait until after the Under-21 European Championships to make a move for the Atletico Madrid No.1, with the goalkeeper saying he will not speak about his future until then.

When questioned about potentially becoming the most expensive goalkeeper in history, De Gea replied: "It doesn’t interest me, they are numbers, clauses, prices. The value that really counts is that which is shown on the pitch, not what they say your value is. Money is secondary, being so expensive is not something I like especially; I’m interested in what people think of me on the playing field."

However, the 20-year-old has confessed to supporting United's Champions League final opponents at Wembley last month.

De Gea said: "[I supported] Barcelona [in the final], but without any special euphoria."

source : Goal

Related Post



{ 0 komentar... read them below or add one }

Post a Comment